"George Peabody ( February 18, 1795 – November 4, 1869) was an American-British financier widely regarded as the 'father of modern philanthropy.' -- WikipediaThis plaque in the Peabody room discusses Peabody's relationship to the Georgetown library.
On April 20, 1867, donated a fund to establish a public library in the city of Georgetown, where he had “Commenced business for himself in early Youth."
A Library was maintained from 1875 to 1935 in the Curtis School building under the name of the Peabody Library.
Upon the erection of this building in 1935 the books were placed in the Georgetown Branch of the Public Library. A collection of Historical data relating to Georgetown is maintained in the east room of the second floor.
The Georgetown collection that was in the east room on the 2nd floor is now on the 3rd floor in the Peabody Room. Here Special Collections Librarian, and local legend, Jerry McCoy poses with the Peabody portrait and array of books about Washington and Georgetown. "Two bow-tied men" remarked a by-stander.