This 1906 bust of Edwin Barrett Hay, 1850-1906, by Vinnie Ream Hoxie tops a monument to Edwin and Florence Brown Hay, 1855-1944 and their daughter Julia Hay Nash, 1883-1938, in Washington's Rock Creek Cemetery. The bust is one of Reams later works done when she was 59 years old after her return to sculpting with the permission of her husband.
Bust of Edwin Barrett Hay wearing a coat with wide lapels. An insignia appears on the proper left lapel and he wears an ascot at the neck. His hair is close cropped and he stares straight ahead. The bust rests on a three-tiered base inscribed with the names of family members. The top tier is rectangular and is adorned with decorative scroll work.
Edwin Barrett “Ned” Hay (1850–1906) was a prominent 19th-century American attorney, nationally recognized handwriting expert, and influential fraternal leader based in Washington, D.C..
His 1906 obituary in the New York Times entitled “Tucker Witness Dies” emphasized his expertise as a handwriting expert:
He testified as a handwriting witness in the murder case of Charles L. Tucker, the Massachusetts murderer. He also was a handwriting witness in the Patrick trial in New York, in the Mann-Collier libel case, and other notable trials. He was a member of the Gridiron Club of this city.
Edwin Hays handwriting expertise not only included the ability to identify the handwriting of others; it extended to his own excellent penmanship. In 1903 he was the calligrapher of a scroll sent by the Washington News Correspondents to David Francis president of the then ongoing Louisiana Purchase Exhibition in St. Louis. The Editor and Publisher, a newspaper for newspapermen, said “It is a magnificent piece of pen work, and was executed by E. B. Hay.”
Hay famously criticized the handwriting of Theodore Roosevelt's cabinet. The Washington Times, April 6, 1906 quotes him: “I think we have the crudest handwriting in the Cabinet now that we have had in many years.”
This Harris and Ewing photo in the Washington Times, June 12, 1906, describes Hay as a “Gifted Lawyer, Poet, Wit...”
The only example I can find of his poetic ability is this parody of "High Up in the Bamboo Tree." which Hay delivered to the Gridiron Club: (Also in the Washington Times, Apr. 12 1906.)
“Although I'm up in the Speaker's chair,
I'm lonely, I'm lonely:
I like the boys so well, I love them only;
They always were so good to me,
They helped me on to victory,
I wish they all could rule with me-
High up in the Speaker's chair.”
“Ned” Hay was a leader of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and was twice elected Grand Exalted Ruler. Ellis's Authentic History of the Elks includes this photo:











No comments:
Post a Comment