"A portrait is a picture in which there is just a tiny little something not quite right about the mouth." -- John Singer Sargent

Friday, July 16, 2021

Dorothy Parker

 

This caricature of Dorothy Parker appears in Peggy Bacon's 1934 book Off With Their Heads! Bacon describes Parker this way:

Dorothy Parker 

Wild muss of dark hair, charging up and away at back and cascading over face in a panic-stricken style. Round, eager eyes wide open, bulgy, slightly mad, full of swift simulation. Pert lips of specious sweetness. Chic, bright fluttering head perched on a sluggish, opulent body like a quick live bird on a rooted tree. Artful, atmospheric, volatile, mundane. 

Peggy Bacon

Miss Parker, of course, is the author of numerous  poems and bon mots.
“I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.”
____________________________________________________________

“Of course I talk to myself. I like a good speaker, and I appreciate an intelligent audience.”
____________________________________________________________

“You can lead a horticulture, but you can’t make her think.”
____________________________________________________________

Indian Summer
In youth, it was a way I had,
To do my best to please.
And change, with every passing lad
To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know
And do the things I do,
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment